MIY Monday: Window Garden

Well, if you live anywhere near us in SE Texas, then spring passed you right by and summer is in full swing. Today it was near 90 degrees here. And this is only the first week of May.

Can someone please bring me a fudgesicle?

One of the things I love about warmer weather is planting season. I'm really new at this, and still learning a lot about gardening, but I'm having fun. (I'm not sure Jeffrey is having as much fun - he's the one having to do the tilling and haul the mulch!)

On Easter weekend, my sister Sarah gave the girls the cutest little gardening kits with tools and seeds and pots. We got straight to work, and there is little my children love more than playing with dirt, so this was an easy science / nature class for our little home-schooling family.


Yes, I made them wear their art aprons. I am that mom.
But I thought I was doing real well with all the dirt on the table.

We planted our seeds and set them in the window sill. As many times as I've seen it happen, I was still amazed to see them sprout. I mean, don't you think it's miraculous? I can't believe that anyone who's ever buried a dry seed in soil and watched it sprout could doubt that there is a Divine Creator!







This season we are growing tomatoes (of course!), squash, cow peas (purple hull peas), basil, peppers, and hopefully some zucchini and melons. I bought some seed plants for potatoes and onions, too.

Even if you don't have a stitch of land for a garden, you can plant a container garden, using pots. In fact, those are easier to maintain! My Pastor doesn't even have a yard; he just has limited space for potted plants around his swimming pool, and last year he grew an amazing crop of vegetables!

If you have little ones, plant a bean or a sunflower seed with them and watch it grow. It's a great way to talk to them about God - the creator of all our wonderful plants.

Happy Monday, everyone!
Shannon

Comments

N Abram said…
Hi Shannon, I've discovered your blog when reading Raising Olives. Just wanting to say hello, and by the way, where do i find this book you put on the poll(now closed). God bless x
Nicky

Popular Posts