MIY Monday: Another Pizza Post!

Okay, I think I need to make a promise here... that I will not do another MIY post about food for at least a month! I suppose that's that's the only area these past few months, where I've had time to invest any creative energies.

But the lil' Guy is sleeping through the night now, so I have no more excuses, right? Well then, here's the last of the MIY Monday FOOD posts you'll see for a while... promise! Just another idea for making fast meals... Mini Pita Pizzas!

I started making these after we ordered cheese pita pizzas for the girls at one of our favorite sandwich shops during lunch one Sunday, and I marveled at how much we paid for a little bread, sauce, and cheese. These will freeze great, too. You can assemble a bunch at once, then freeze on cookie sheets before transferring them to freezer bags. Then you have quick-grab lunch for your littles within arm's reach. And it only takes a few minutes in the oven to cook them right up.

Now that I've thoroughly convinced you that you need to make these, here's what mine looked like:


I used these 'sandwich rounds' but you can use any pitas you like. I personally think pita bread would be better than these, but they worked fine.


Pausing to think about how great my food photographs would be if I had an outdoor kitchen... honey, if you're reading this, would you build me an outdoor kitchen, please? Thanks!

Bake the pitas in the oven at 350 just until crispy. This is so your bread won't get soggy when you ladle on tons of your favorite sauce. I included my favorite pizza sauce recipe at the end of this post.


I sprinkled on two kinds of cheese, because that's what I had in the fridge. (We have a serious love for cheese in this house.) And since it will be mostly the girls who eat these, I just left them as cheese pizzas, but you can add pepperoni, chicken, or veggies of your choice.

Or bar-b-que sauce with chicken and pineapple... mmm....

And there you have it - MIY Mini Freezer Pita Pizzas.

Say that five times fast: 'Mini Freezer Pita Pizzas, Mini Freezer Pita Pizzas, Mini Freezer Pita Pizzas, Mini Freezer Pita Pizzas, MINI FREEZER PITA PIZZAS!!

My work is done here.

Oh, except to leave you with this recipe for some seriously delicious, ridiculously easy pizza sauce, ala my friend Teesa. (Thanks, Teesa!!)
**Tip: I add 2 tbs of honey to this recipe. 'Cause, you know, we like it sweet in the South!

**Another Tip: Double this recipe and keep the extra sauce in the fridge for dipping breadsticks, making meatball sandwiches, etc.

Teesa's Pizza Sauce

1 6oz. can Tomato Paste
1 c. water
1/2 tsp lemon juice of vinegar
1/4 tsp each: basil, dried thyme, garlic powder, oregano, and salt
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
1/8 tsp onion powder
1 bay leaf

Combine in saucepan using a whisk, and bring to boil. Let simmer uncovered for 30-45 minutes, until it reaches desired consistency.

Okay, now my work is done. Happy Monday, Everybody!


Comments

Popular Posts