They're Eighteen.

 Hello, friends.

If you're really bosom friends, then you've been here since the good 'ole days when I was doing Make-It-Yourself Monday posts... sharing recipes... and announcing adoptions.



Where did the time go?

Those little Ukrainian-speaking, five-year-old bundles of energy and shyness have grown up now.  Taller than I. Beautiful. Handsome.

Eighteen.




It has been a wild ride with sharp turns and deep dives that I could never have foreseen.  Just three months ago, Christopher received a serious diagnosis and has been fighting for his health.  Lena decided to move out not long after that.

Neither of those things were what we wanted, but here we are.

"Babies don't keep" is the most true line that ever graced a poem.  

Harsh truth.  

I won't hide the hard things, but I'll also say that I am so thankful we have been blessed with the journey of being their parents.

Lena is spreading her wings, and enjoying a new chapter in life. 

Christopher is diligently working towards all of his goals, including healing from this diagnosis. He officially graduated December 30th, (because he wasn't finished last May).  Who he's become in our family has brought us all joy.  He's a blessing to have around the dinner table and the living room family sessions.  Making us laugh... making us think.  He's one of the most thoughtful people I know.






I can't imagine a version of our family where we didn't bring them into it. 

I know there are so many more changes to come... but for now I am taking it all in, every day. The blessing of having most of my kids still in the nest. 

Maybe nests don't keep... but for now I'll just spread my wings around them and settle in.



Comments

Popular Posts