MIY Monday: Throw-Back Dinner


I'm back! I bet you thought Make-It-Yourself Monday was gone forever! Sorry for the sabbatical, but I haven't been making much of anything lately, except messes... and milk...

But you probably don't want to talk about that.

Sorry, I'm still a bit sleep-deprived lately.

It is Monday, isn't it?

Well, I have been making the occasional dinner, which is what I'm going to showcase here today: last night's feasting.




Remember French Bread Pizza? If your childhood was like mine, then probably many of your favorite memories are sprinkled with good 'ole throw-back foods like TV dinners and mac-n-cheese and jello pudding and tacos...... and French Bread Pizza!

Well, if this is one of your favorites (or your kids' faves) scour the freezer aisle no more, because you can so make this yourself! Yes, you can google "French Bread Pizza" but I'll just tell you here how easy it is. But first, a dissertation...

Why Make French Bread Pizza Yourself?
- Cost Less / More for your Money
- Fresh Foods without Pesky Preservatives
- Greater Choice of Toppings
- Homemade Meal that is Super Easy
- You'll be your Kids' and Hubby's Hero!

Okay, here's how I made mine...

Grab a plain loaf of french bread at your local grocer. Or make your own, if you have the time and energy. Slice the loaf open. I pulled a little of the bread out of the center so the pizza would be crispier.

Place loaf halves on cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees until the bread is toasty/crispy. This keeps the pizza from getting soggy with pizza sauce.

Next, I rubbed down my toasty bread with slices of raw garlic because I sometimes like to pretend I'm Rachael Ray.

But then I remember that I have kids...



And I don't have a posh New York home...



Nor can I afford to buy Brie on a weekly basis...



Nor do I look remotely Italian...



And I certainly don't get paid to cook!



Okay, before I get depressed, let's move on. You can do the garlic rub-down thing, or skip it; it's your pizza!

Now, ladle on your favorite pizza sauce. Make your own, buy a jar, whatever. I personally use my friend Teesa's recipe, to which I add about 1 tbs. or so of honey - because that's how we like things down here in the south, nice and sweet! I love this pizza sauce. It's so good that last night I was getting left-over sauce out of the pan and licking it off my finger.


Lest you think I'm joking.... see the finger trail?



I haven't asked Teesa if I can share her superb recipe with you. Maybe if you're really good she'll divulge her culinary secrets...

Anyway, ladle sauce on the bread. Add your shredded cheese (I used mozzarella), and then your favorite toppings. I used what I had here: leftover chicken off the grill. Calamata olives. Chopped onion and red bell pepper. Then I sprinkled on some parmesan cheese, and a little more mozzarella. I used an 8 oz. block of mozzarella for a loaf of french bread. I also used every bit of sauce called for two whole pizzas. (Well, except the sauce I licked out of the pan, of course.)

Bake at 350 degrees until cheese is melted and bread is crispy.

Mmm.... cheesy......



Mmmm.... crusty....




Come to Mama-Mia!


What have all of you been Making Yourselves? Send me your ideas - I need some inspiration!

Happy Monday, everybody.




Comments

Miss Susan said…
Sounds yummy! If Teesa wants to share her recipe...pass it along...adding honey sounds interesting :)

And...did I really feed you TV dinners when you were growing up?! Oh goodness, that's not good if I did!!
Hollie Carson said…
Gimmie this recipe! And I must say that header picture is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mom, we had the occasional Mexican TV Dinner... and I think we turned out okay! ;)

Thanks, Hollie!

Teesa's recipe is coming... I'll post it soon.
Anonymous said…
I have been guilty of giving the kids and occational tv dinner... opps, lol.
But your pizza looks so good. Thanks for the reminder. Derrick picking up a loaf of bread for me right now.
SarahinSC said…
We LOVE french bread pizza. I even blogged about it awhile back. I like how you used what you had in the fridge as toppings.
Jo said…
I love this! Looks amazing and simple. Thanks for the inspiration. Hope all is good with you guys. : )

Popular Posts