More of the Story and a Kick-Off!


We have had such overwhelming support and congratulatory wishes from friends and family, since the news of our adoption has spread. This is - without a doubt - going to be a ride of highs and lows,... and we are so grateful for such support.

I still can't make an official announcement (and I'm waiting rather impatiently, I must say), so I can't share with you the name or picture of our Little Guy, 'K' (although I CAN tell you he IS a handsome fellow), but I can share with you a little of the story...

But FIRST, let me tell you about our awesome Kick-Off for 'K'!

I am so excited about this. In order to jumpstart our fundraising, I've been scrambling around, gathering some pretty awesome prizes for giveaways, and I can't wait a second longer to show you.

Starting TODAY, for each loving, faithful friend who donates $5 or more to bringing K home, you will be entered to win one of the following prizes:

Set of 6 Hand-Knitted Cotton Dish Rags


My 'honorary' niece Haley made some of these for me, and it took me weeks to actually put them to use because they are so pretty. The winner won't actually get MY used dishrags, but will get to choose from a few sets like the one pictured here.

Hand-Made Soap & Hard Lotion Bar

These were made by Yours Truly. The soap is hot-process with pure ingredients, including coconut oil and olive oil. The lotion bar is great for rough spots like heels and elbows. Jeffrey and I each have one stashed in our beside tables. Our family motto is Hazletons love to share... but maybe it doesn't apply to lotion bars.

Thermal Tote by Thirty-One Gifts


We love our thermal tote, and the 'Cheeky Elephant' print is perfect for my crew. But the winner will choose their own print and personalization.

Handmade Beaded Necklace AND Earrings


These were made by my friend Nicole when she was fundraising for her mission trip. The necklace can be worn long or doubled-up. The earrings are sweet and dainty. I have been saving them for something or someone special, and though I'd love to hang on to them, I can't think of a better way to send them off!



Beautiful Mod Fabric Wreath


My friend Meagan is a super-crafter and her home is filled with beautiful things made with her own hands... She made this wreath and I really wanted to keep it for myself, but it will go to one blessed winner of our drawing in the Kick-Off for K Fundraiser!


Doodle Wrap!


(Also made by my friend meagan) This cozy baby-wrap carrier is double-sided (reversable) with a print that is adorable for baby boy or girl. It carries newborn up to 30 lbs. and comes with a storage pouch and an instructional dvd!

Again, here's how to enter. Click on the 'Chip-In' button on the right-side of our blog. Each person who donates $5 or more towards our adoption will be entered to win. We will draw for one prize every few days until all the prizes are gone. The first drawing will be Monday, April 4th, and the winner will be announced the next morning. So if you are kind enough to make a donation, keep checking back here to see if you've won.

But WAIT - there's MORE!

For TWO chances to win:
1. Kindly make a donation using our Chip-In button, and then
2. Tell about our Kick-Off for 'K' fundraiser on your blog or Facebook (link back to this post).
3. Come back here and leave a comment telling us that you shared about our fundraiser.

I can't wait to see who wins - I LOVE prizes!

*********
Now, for more of the story...

Adoption is something we never talked about much, but each of us thought was in our future.... one day. You know, years down the road. Honestly, it wasn't really even on my radar.

Then the Lord really began to stir our hearts towards adoption and open our eyes up His own heart for orphans. We agreed that this was definitely something the Lord was calling us to do, but we saw no feasible way to be able to adopt in the near future. Financially, it was just impossible. And I didn't feel emotionally capable of even beginning all paperwork involved in beginning an adoption. We left it in God's hands.

It didn't take long for God to bring it around again. I had been researching adoption here and there. My best friend and her husband had adopted a little girl from China, so I wasn't completely unfamiliar with the process. Another very close friend of mine is in the process of an international adoption, and it was through there family that I learned of Reeces Rainbow.

I prayed for some of the children I saw on the RR site, and one particular boy kept coming back to my mind and heart again and again. I brought 'K' up to Jeff and showed him his picture. We talked about it and prayed.

For the next few weeks we talked about it and prayed.

We knew that God had called us to adopt. But was it now? Was it this child?

We talked about it and prayed.
Finally, on a Friday night, something just clicked. The peace was there. Not just peace, but joy. We finally felt we had a green light. Now we just needed about $2600 to start the process. $2600 just to get a toe in the water- just to call up the agency and say, "take that boy off the list; he's OUR son!" That's all. Just $2600.

The next morning we were handed a check for $5,000.

Yep. God is so good; let me tell you!

Can you believe that after that first step of faith in saying, "okay, let's do it", God gave us almost double what we thought we needed. Now we could pay for our home study, too.

That's just the beginning of the story, and there's so much more to tell, but this post is getting really long! So I'll tell more of the story tomorrow.

For now will you help us get the word out on our fundraiser? Help us bring 'K' home!!


Comments

Hollie Carson said…
This is just awesome. LOVED reading this.

p.s. Did you take the picture of the cotton dish rags? THAT PICTURE IS INCREDIBLE.
Aw, thanks, Hollie. I DID take that picture. ;)
Heather said…
How exciting, Shannon! I made a donation...I hope I can help more in the future! I pledge my promise to become a prayer warrior for you, friend!
Heather, Thank you! Prayer means more than anything... thank you so much!
MamaJ said…
Whoohoo, I'm in!
Unknown said…
Okay! I donated through the RR website (do you need to know the amount? it was more than $5 :-)

ALSO I just shared the link on facebook!

AND Zach wants to know that if we win one of the drawings, does he get to pick his middle name? If so, Zach says it should be "Zach". LOL.
Yay Cheri! Haha... tell Zach we'll take it under consideration. ;)
Kiri said…
Ok, did the chip-in. Good luck with your fundraiser! :) You will be an awesome family for 'K'. We'll be thinking of you and will check back often.
Rachel said…
Chipped in. :)
Rachel said…
Also posted on my blog! www.thislittlelightproject.blogspot.com
Thank you, Rachel! Looking forward to following along in your journey, too! ;)

Popular Posts