The Rest of the Story

Jeff and I just celebrated 11 years since the day we met, and I wrote about it here on the blog... this is the continuation of that story, for those who are interested...

Part I
I was alone in my thoughts.  A road trip was always good for that.  The nose of my little red Honda Civic was pointed back towards New Orleans, and with my parents' house in my rearview mirror, I would have a good hour to think.  New Orleans was home - for now.  No longer able to afford seminary classes, I was a full-time preschool teacher for autistic children, working as a behavioral therapist in my off-hours.  Most weekends I would hit the interstate back to Mom and Dad's house for some down-time and good home-cooked meals in the house where I grew up.  It was a comforting refuge.

My Dad and me at my Parents' Home


It has been weeks since B and I returned from our short trip to China.  I hadn't thought much about Jeffrey, the handsome missionary tour guide.  It wasn't likely I'd ever see him again, so what was the point?  I still struggled with what was next in life, and how to balance patience with obedient leaps of faith.


As I drove the long stretch of highway I thought.  Prayed.  Listened to music. And a quiet knowing came upon me again.  A definite nudging.  A Word.  It's time now.


For two years I had been longing to go back to China - and not for short-term trips.  But the Lord had definitely not opened any doors for me to move there.  But now, for the 2nd time in 2 weeks, I felt the Lord urging me to go... giving me the green light to begin my process with the IMB.


And now I felt torn.  I most definitely wanted to go... but I was terrified to do it alone.  And more than that, I didn't feel called to do it alone.  Somehow I just knew I was made to be a partner, a wife, a mother, a helper.  I knew I was supposed to do this married, not single.  And yet, there was no one.  And yet, here He was calling me to go... was I missing something?  Was HE forgetting something?


It's time now.


For the 2nd time in 2 weeks, I answered, I don't think I can, Lord.


I know you can't.  But I can.


Okay, Lord.  I'll do it.

............................

A few weeks later, I sat at my laptop, staring at the screen.  


For a few months I had been receiving Jeffrey's newsletters from that little city I loved, nestled in the foothills of the Himalayas in Southwest China.  He had asked for mine and B's email addresses so he could send us his newsletters and we could pray for him and his teammates and the work being done there.  Now, since I had begun the process for moving overseas to join his team, I wanted to ask if he would pray for me in the process, and give me any helpful advice.


I was quite sure he wouldn't remember me, so I began the email with:


"Hi Jeffrey.  Not too long ago my friend B and I met you at the Mao Square, and you took us to see the glacier... I don't know if you remember us... B was the funny one - and I'm the other girl. :)"


I kept my email short and light, just stating the facts and hoping he would indeed pray for me and send back any advice he had to offer.


It wasn't long before I heard back...

Comments

Joy said…
I love this story. I'm glad we are getting more bits. :D
Jeffrey said…
"not sure if you remember [me]"....
uh, yeah. I remembered you; no doubt about that.
Harbert House said…
I know you're busy, but I am SO EXCITED about reading this story :) Can't wait to read the rest!

Popular Posts