We're Alive

About to head to Church

Well, I've got about 2.5 minutes here while 4 children are occupied with activities and one sits on my lap. We made it back safely to the States on Thursday.  It was a rough 2nd trip.  Very busy and exhausting, and by the time we were coming back through Kiev, I was at the end of my strength and resolve.

Running on about 1.5 hours of sleep, we started out the journey home at 3am (Kiev time) and traveled for about 22 hours to reach our front door.  There was a mild freak-out moment for the kids when we made it home.  But after about 30 minutes they were warming up and coming out of their shell.

It's been so good to be home.  Things are crazy, chaotic, and challenging.  I'm still exhausted.  And I spend every waking moment of the day putting out proverbial fires and re-directing little ones and trying to stay ahead of the game.  Anton and Lena don't know our 'house rules' and have to be watched all the time and corrected or re-directed.  They are sleeping well, so if I could just get Carson to cooperate, we'd be doing pretty well.

We hit the ground running... arrived home Thursday evening, and Friday morning, Jeff was off to work as usual.  Saturday we had a family-only birthday party for Lilly in the park, and all the kids had a blast.  And Sunday, we went to our regular Sunday morning activities.  The kids have been troopers.

And Google Translate stays up on our computer at all times.  In fact, I was just interrupted and had to use it to help Lena understand what I was telling her.

Thank you for following our journey - but really - it's just beginning.  So I hope you all will stick around and keep praying for us.  (I need it!!!)

Anton and Lena DID meet their buddy, who grew up in their orphanage and now lives 5 minutes from us.  It was so precious to watch.  Our friends got pictures and video, but they're on vacation at the beach with no internet, so I promise I'll post pictures from that when they get back into town.

Again, we still need your prayers as we are making this HUGE family transition.

God is good... and we're taking it one day at a time...

Comments

Krista said…
Thanks for the update. Praying for you!
Jarröt said…
I love how the boys are looking down while the girls look right at the camera!

I'm usually(but not really) content with how little I make at my job but I'm now upset I don't make more so I could afford to make more trips to see y'all! I have the picture up on one of my screens at work here and I just can't stop looking at it. Ehhh! I wish I could close enough to see them all grow up.
Tammy said…
Great to read your post. So lovely to see the children home. Fabulous miracle. God bless!

Tammy, ON, Canada
Unknown said…
I'm so glad you are home. I know we don't know each other, but I have been following along and praying for you every day. Here is some encouragement a friend just sent to me.

Psalm 18:30-36

As for God, his way is blameless
The word of the Lord is tried;
He is a shield to all who take refuge in him
For who is God, but our Lord
And who is a rock, but our God?

The God who girds me with strength
And who makes my way blameless
He makes my feet like hinds' feet
And sets them on high places

You have also given me the shield of your salvation
Your right hand upholds me
And your gentleness makes me great
You enlarge my steps under me
And my feet have not slipped
Nan and Dan said…
so so so happy for you all!!!!!
welcome home!!!
hugs!
Katie King said…
So happy to read a little about what's been going on. I cannot imagine how exhausted, jet-lagged, etc you all must have been coming back. I've been thinking how overwhelming this must all be for the 2 new kids....plus all of ya'll. I am praying for rest and peace for all of you. I will remind myself to pray for y'all when I think of you...which is several times a day :)
Lindsey Royal said…
Love that we got to see a family picture!
Anonymous said…
I love your family pic!! The whole family :)
I live in Port Neches and adopted twin girls from Russia in April. The transition is hard but get easier everyday. Now, 6 months home it is almost hard to remember what those first weeks were like. Congratulations to you all! We will keep you in our prayers.

Lindsey
Kristi said…
I've been looking all over your site for your email, but just can't find it! It's probably right under my nose, but could you email me so that I have it? Hope all is well with your new little ones!
Kristi, I tried looking for your email too, but couldn't find it... I am hoping you'll check back here for a response... my email address is thehazletons@gmail.com Just make sure you spell Hazleton right... it's not like the color... or the nut. ;)

Shannon
My email is linzdawn19@aol.com. Would love to hear from you. It is so neat that there are so many families right here locally with children adopted from all over the world.
Welcome Home!

I also wanted to check in and see how you guys are doing. Have you joined the After the Rainbow group yet? I can't always keep track of people's names and their usernames so I'm sorry if I missed you there! If you're not a part yet please email me and I'll send you an invite. Also, please don't hesitate to ask if I can do anything to help you as you settle in. Adoption is a beautiful thing but it can also be challenging! Sometimes it helps to talk to someone who has "been there".

Blessings,
Rachel Whitmire
Post-Adoption Care Coordinator
Reece's Rainbow Down Syndrome Adoption Ministry
www.reecesrainbow.org
rachel@reecesrainbow.org

Popular Posts