Hold Your Babies Tight...

... Don't let them out of your sight.

My heart is so, so heavy this morning. Just breaking.

Saturday, just as we were letting the kids out the back door to go play in the kiddie pool, sprinkler, and slip-n-slide for Maggie's belated birthday party, I got a text from a friend.

She asked me to pray because a little boy at the birthday party she was attending had just drowned. He had wandered away from his parents, and was found in the above ground pool. He would have been two-years-old next month.

Then today, I learned that my childhood best friend lost her two-year-old daughter yesterday - she drowned in a friend's Jacuzzi.

I have no words. I don't know why the Lord allows such tragedy. My heart aches.

But I can't just say nothing, or post about our adoption, like everything is okay.

I want to remind parents to hold your babies tight... and please, don't let them out of your sight!

A day or so before I heard of the first accident, I read an article about drowning. It doesn't look like you think it does. There is no splashing or calling for help. There is no bobbing up and gasping for air - Hollywood has conditioned us to think this is what drowning looks like. But drowning is silent. Silent.

- Kids can drown when they're in the pool with their parents.
- Kids who know how to swim can drown.
- Kids can drown in a kiddie pool
- In a bathtub
- In a bucket
- In an inch of water.
- Kids can drown with floatation devices.

The bottom line is we must, must keep our kids in our sight - even if no one is swimming.

We were part of a wedding last weekend at a beautiful bed & breakfast, where the bride and groom were wed outside, under a giant oak tree. We spent a lot of time on the grounds before the wedding, just waiting - and following around three bored, active kiddos who wanted to go in three different directions. I was shocked when I happened to walk around a pretty hedge of flowers to find a completely hidden in-ground swimming pool - with absolutely no fence around it. It would take seconds for a toddler to wander off and fall into this pool. I shuddered to think of it.

Please, parents. Hold your babies tight. Don't let them out of your sight.

Comments

Thank you for this horrifically sad, but important reminder. Last year on Mother's Day, my cousin's 2 yr old little boy drowned at a family cookout. Everyone was outside, setting up for lunch, grilling, etc. He wondered off into the side yard & within a matter of about 2 minutes, he fell into a small, decorative yard pond {the kind you buy at Lowes & install in your yard}. All are tragic stories & I cannot even imagine the pain the families suffer after losing a child. Prayers to all.
So tragic! Thank you for the important reminder. Last yr, on Mother's Day, my cousin lost her 2 yr old boy in a drowning. They were having a cookout. All were outside grilling, setting up for lunch, etc. & in a matter of about 2 minutes, he wondered off into the side yard. He fell into a small decorative pond {the kind you buy at Lowes & install in your yard}. I cannot imagine the pain the parents suffer in accidents like these. Prayers to all.
Annette said…
Got a similar text while we were at a church picnic with water toys everywhere. Thanks for the reminder that parents really need to know where there children are at all times especially in familiar places because we tend to get too comfortable.

On another note, you may want to link to this site(http://www.nogreaterjoymom.com) for some possible help with fundraising. See you next week at CFA!

Popular Posts