MIY Monday: Nutritious Protein Bars



Well, I'm still here.... and still pregnant! Only 3 days to go, though. In preparation for getting a lot less sleep, and needing a lot more energy to keep up with my girls and nurse the baby, I started making this quick, nutritious snack that's loaded with protein. Jeff and I both love these. He takes them to work, and I made some double-batches to have some in the freezer for a quick grab when I need them.

There are a few store-bought protein/energy bars we like, but most of them are loaded with sugar or preservatives, and the quality ones are expensive.

So I was thrilled to find this idea and recipe on Passionate Homemaking.

These freeze perfectly. You can actually take them out of the freezer and eat without even thawing. The chocolate top-layer is just a little more crunchy, but I LOVE it that way.

Okay, so get your pen and paper or your printer set and get ready to go directly to the store to get these ingredients. I think you will love the results.

Oh, and be sure to scroll down to the bottom where I've included some optional substitute ingredients, in case there are things you don't have or don't use.

Here's the recipe:

Nourishing Protein Bars


2 c. almonds

1/4 c. sunflower seeds

1/2 c. dried prunes

1/2 c. shredded coconut (unsweetened)

1/2 c. peanut butter (real, unsweetened)

1/2 t. kosher salt or sea salt

1/2 c. coconut oil (melted)

1 Tbs. honey (or maple syrup)

2 tsp. vanilla


Chocolate Topping

2 1/2 squares Baker’s Unsweetened Chocolate (melted with 1 Tbs. butter and 2-3 Tbs. honey to sweeten)

OR Semi-Sweet Chocolate chips, melted


Directions:

Place almonds, seeds, prunes, coconut, peanut butter and salt in food processor. Pulse briefly to combine ingredients.


In a small sauce pan, melt coconut oil over very low heat. Remove from heat. Stir in honey and vanilla.


Add coconut oil mixture to food processor and pulse until ingredients form a very course paste. (You will still see small, crunchy bits of almond.)


Press mixture into 8X8 glass baking dish. Chill in refrigerator for 1 hour or until hardened.


In small saucepan, melt chocolate with butter and honey over very low heat, stirring continuously. Spread melted chocolate over bars. Return to refrigerator for 30 minutes, until chocolate hardens. Cut into bars. Store in refrigerator or freezer. Yields 12-15 bars.


Optional Substitutes

*Sunflower Seeds = pumpkin, flax, or chia seeds

*Dried Prunes = dates or raisins

*Peanut Butter = Almond or other nut butter

*Coconut Oil = I would try real butter if you cannot get coconut oil

*Baker’s Chocolate = dark chocolate squares or semi-sweet chocolate chips


If you have a good, nutritional recipe, I would LOVE for you to share. Happy Monday, everyone!





Comments

Katie King said…
This recipe sounds GREAT! I will have to try it out.
Jo said…
Recipe sounds great. Wish my boys weren't allergic to peanuts. It is so challenging sometimes. I also wanted to let you know that I will be thinking of you tomorrow. I know you are super excited and thrilled to meet Carson.
Thanks, Jo!

Can your boys have almonds? Or are you staying away from all nuts? I believe this recipe originally called for almond butter.
Teresa said…
Just wondering if maybe "1/2 cup kosher salt" is a misprint?
HAHA- Yes, Teresa, 1/2 cup kosher salt was a misprint... I've changed it now. It should have been 1/2 teaspoon. Thanks for catching that.

Popular Posts