MIY Monday: Making It Personal



There are so many things you can make yourself. Some things are functional and frugal, like making your own detergent or dust rags... some things are fun, like making play-doh or a cute bandana dress. And some things are both - like making stationary for a friend, or a crayon roll-up for a little friend's birthday.

But my favorite things to make myself are projects which call upon the hobbies I've carried my whole life. Writing. Sketching. Painting. Working with wood or clay or fabric. And recently I had the opportunity to make some gifts that brought me back decades.

When I was a kid I loved my wood burner - did you ever have one of those? And I was inspired a few weeks ago to use again that tool I haven't touched since childhood.



It was great fun.




And I think what makes these gifts special is not that I am a talented craftswoman - because I'm really not. But it's that I've put some of myself into each piece.



What is it that you enjoy making? Whether it's functional or fun - for yourself or someone else... have fun making it personal. Happy Monday, everyone!

Comments

Hollie Carson said…
Okay, wait...you didn't tell us how you made these. Did Jojo make the box..did you buy it from a store? What type of paint did you use? Did you free-hand the woodburning or use stencil. If you free handed it...girl, you are good. I love it!!! These could be used for a recipe box!
Hollie,
I found the boxes at Hobby Lobby, unfinished.

I free-handed the Initial and the design around the initial, and used a stencil for the bigger vines.

I used water-based acrylic craft paint (Walmart) for the initial and the inside of the box.

I used water-based stain (there with the acrylic craft paint at walmart), which I applied with a soft rag, to finish it.

I thought about making one for myself to use as a recipe box too! :) I think each of my girls may get one of these this year on each of their birthdays to hold special treasures. :)
Oh, I forgot to say that I drew everything on the box in pencil first before burning. And I did a lot of erasing, too!!! :)
Lindsey Royal said…
Oh my goodness! Those are AMAZING you need to start selling some of the things you make.

Popular Posts