MIY Monday: Personalized Picture Frames



I put together this picture frame a while back, and it was the first thing I made for our lil' guys' room. Once I decided on a theme for his big-boy room, I went straight to JoAnn's for my first project. Carson's room theme is something I call "Vintage Cowboys & Indians - meets - Old American Flag." So I picked up these supplies:



These wooden supplies at JoAnn's were very inexpensive, and I had the glue and paints on-hand.

The square wooden frame was already primed in white, but the star was unfinished. And I'm totally busted here - I used my kids' watercolors to paint the frame! I wanted a "wash" look, rather than a very opaque look. So I used their watercolors, and also used one color in water-based acrylic craft paint, which I watered-down to get the look I wanted.



If you want to make stripes on your frame, you can draw lines first, using a pencil and ruler, but since I wanted an old, imperfect look, I just free-handed my stripes.



Once the star was painted and dry, I attached it to the frame using Tacky Glue - love that stuff.

Voila! So easy. Now we just have to wait for him to be born so we can put his picture in the frame. You can make one for your kids' room too, no matter the decor. I have found lots of fun wooden shapes at craft stores and Walmart: cars, bugs, flowers, hearts, shapes, letters...

If you make one of these, please share with us - I would LOVE to see it. And by the way, this would make GREAT, inexpensive, and super-special gifts for the upcoming season!

If you would like to participate in Make-It-Yourself-Monday, please do! Leave a comment telling us about something you've made recently. You may link to a post on your blog so we can marvel at your work. Happy Monday!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I love it. Those frame where a great buy at joanns. I am making some too. I will post pics when I finally finish them. I have maybe 5 projects going. I buy the piece a lil at a time and work on them. Thanks for sharing yours.
Hey Crystal - let me know when you've posted some stuff on your blog, and I'll link to it from mine so we can see all your hard work!

I tend to work on projects a little at a time too - I guess that's how it goes with kids! (I painted that frame weeks ago and didn't glue the star on until today.)

I forgot to tell you I saw your kids wearing their shirts you painted for them at Fall Fest, but I didn't get a good close look. Hopefully they'll wear them again so I can admire your artwork. :)
Anonymous said…
Thank you for noticing the shirts. I dunno if they will wear those shirts out again, 2 of the 3 got stained. But I am making 3 more each for the Christmas/winter holiday. Will post pics after I finish my BIG project, redoing my dining room!

Popular Posts