MIY Monday: Room Art

Ah! I'm sorry I'm so un-fashionably late posting this. We got in late yesterday evening from being out of town, and it's thrown me off all day today. But here we go... Make It Yourself Monday!

Late last week I put together this wall-hanging for my nephew's first birthday. And believe, me, anyone can do this...


I had a flat canvas on-hand but you can use a regular canvas or even a piece of wood. I used acrylic paints and put a kaki color on the background first. I really like acrylic paints b/c they dry fast, and if I don't like the way something turned out, I can paint over it easily.


I saw this basic design on ETSY in the form of vinyl stickers for a bedroom wall. So I used stencils to put Trey's name in large letters. I free-handed the dumptruck on a piece of card stock, and then used a ruler to straighten out my lines, and a round paint cap to draw circles for the wheels. Then I used scissors and an X-acto knife to cut out the truck, making my own stencil.

But I'm sure you can find your own stencil without having to go through all the trouble (I thought it was fun, but I'm weird like that.) I free-handed the word "ROOM" in the back of the dump truck.

After the background was good and dry, I traced everything in pencil, rather than using the pencils and paints together - for me it's much easier that way. Then when everything was dry I taped the ribbon on the back to make it easy to hang.





With this kind of craft, the possibilities are endless. I'd love to hear someone else's ideas for a wall hanging for a kid's room, or any room of the house.

If you would like to participate in Make-It-Yourself-Monday, please do! Leave a comment telling us about something you've made recently. You may link to a post on your blog so we can marvel at your work. Happy Monday!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Love to see your crafty stuff. I love crafty stuff. I like you nephews hanging, I made something on ca canvas for my kitchen. It so much cheaper to make you own art sometimes than buying it and you have pride in it. I tried you soap, sorta. It's a different recipe. Love it! Thanks so much for the ideas.I have new MIY Monday pics on my blog. Happy crafting! lol.
Crystal, I'm so glad you tried the soap and liked it. And I love those shirts on your blog - beautiful!

Ladies- check out Crystal's blog... She painted fall/ autumn shirts for her kids to wear during the Halloween and Thanksgiving season.
Sarah said…
Thank you so much for such a special gift. We love it!

Popular Posts