Warning: I'm Steppin' on some Toes!

Call me crazy... but really I'm just concerned. Deeply concerned, actually. And if you're a mom (OR a dad) of young girls, you should be concerned too.

Recently, I was at Walmart buying some school supplies for the year. Yes, my girls are only pre-schoolers, but we do lots of things using glue, scissors, paper, crayons, markers, etc. I also wanted to get them each a cute lunch box for when we go on play dates with friends, or maybe a fun lunch in the backyard. But I ended up not getting any lunch boxes that day. I didn't find exactly what I was looking for, and most of the "girly" lunch kits were Hannah Montana.

Now I know we're a bit different - okay, a lot different - and sometimes people just don't "get" our decisions or our thinking and this is one of those areas.

We have not, and will not, buy our girls toys or paraphernalia featuring Hannah Montana / Miley Cyrus, or any other child or teen star who does not exhibit Godly character, humility, modesty, and purity.

Think Hannah Montana / Miley Cyrus is a good role model? Watch this:



Here is what God's Word says about young women:
"You should be known for the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God." - I Peter 3:4

It doesn't surprise me that people all over the country think that young, successful stars like Miley Cyrus (who's birth name was Destiny Hope Cyrus, btw) are great role models for all our daughters. What baffles me is why Christian moms, trying to raise Godly, modest, pure, God-pleasing daughters - think the same.

Taylor Swift is another one I'm hearing more of these days. I have to be honest, I had to "google" her to find out who she is (yes, I am THAT terminally un-cool). And here was my first view of her:


Um, not exactly a vision of modesty and purity. And I listened to just a minute of one of her songs, where these lyrics just leapt out at me:

I bet she's beautiful
that girl he talks about
And she's got everything
I have to live without

First of all, in the music video, she is a high school girl singing this about a high school boy whom, apparently, she loves. And that's just the kind of thing we are NOT going to fill our daughters' heads with.

I'm sure by now you realize I feel so passionately about this. But moms (and dads!) we have a responsibility to raise our daughters in the nurture and admonition of the Lord! Let's take it seriously.




Comments

Three Walters said…
totally on your side Shannon!
Alecia Kyler said…
Having been raised in a very conservative home, I'm with you on this completely! Especially about Miley. I do love Taylor Swift's music, but I'm 31 years old. Don't think either of them are suitable for young girls at all. Can't believe you didn't know who Taylor was though! So uncool:)
Anonymous said…
I read that Miley did a pole dance but your video showed her standing on a platform with a pole. I must admit I was expecting strip. I can only imagine that her father is so embarassed by her actions. We need to explain to our children how women should respect their bodies and our boys should be taught to honor the mother of their future children. I too, do not know these new "young women" that are using their bodies to gain their 15 minutes of fame.
I completely agree with you that parents need to guard their children. What's sad is the fact that Hannah Montana and Taylor Swift are the some of "cleanest" young stars out there today. What is the world coming to?
jessica said…
total agree and very passionate about it as well. so greatly written. love you guys

Popular Posts