Musings of a Nosey Neighbor

I have a new neighbor. Well, she just moved in a few months ago. I think she's single, maybe just finished college. She is young... and so very different from me. I see her from time-to-time, coming and going. She is busy. She looks like a picture from a magazine - someone from Hollywood or some other place than here. She wears cute styles, like those pony tails that are completely smooth with just enough poof in the back - how do they do that?

I happen to know that she works at a salon down the street, where I've had my hair done before. So I guess that's how she can have such a pony tail.

That is definitely not what my pony tail looks like! A week or so ago, she was sitting on her patio, talking on her cell phone, dressed in something really fashion-forward, with her perfectly coiffed hair... and I was coming down the sidewalk with groceries. I had Lilly in one arm, with my purse and a grocery bag dangling... With my other arm I carried 3 more grocery bags, a small diaper bag, and holding Maggie's hand, who is want to dilly-dally. I was already sweating, and my messy whispers of hair that straggle out of my pony tail were sticking to my face. I wondered if she were looking at me thinking, Jeez, I'm glad that' not my life!

Yesterday morning - no lie - I saw her carrying in some groceries in a cute shirt and skirt, a fashionable hat, and some fuzzy Ugg-style boots. (I don't even know how to spell that!!) Okay, guys, remember it's southeast TEXAS, for goodness sakes, and it's 85 degrees at 9:00 in the morning! No one wears fuzzy boots!

Have I given you a clear enough picture of how far my world is from hers?

Well, let me tell you what we have in common. We both are women. We are young. We are bombarded by a hard world. We have hopes, dreams, desires. We have hurts and disappointments. We have a Father who loved us enough to send His Son to die for us. I know that; maybe she doesn't. It would be easy for me to let our differences and my own insecurities keep me from reaching out to her. But that would be wrong.

I believe we are here, in this apartment complex, for a God-ordained purpose. And I mean to start opening my eyes and look for His Divine appointments. How about you?

"So be careful how you live, not as fools but as those who are wise. Make the most of every opportunity for doing good in these evil days." - Ephesians 5:15-16

For a great post on this topic, check out this blog I just discovered.

Comments

Melissa said…
That is a great word! Thanks for sharing that! :)

It doesn't matter where we live, overseas or in our own home country.. there are lost people, people who need to be encouraged, people who need love.....

I pray my eyes are open as His are!

love to you all!

Popular Posts