Thankful: 6th Birthday - First Party


This picture above was the defining moment of the day.  Clutching the camera, trying to get an adequate shot of the priceless expression on her face.  Clutching my insides as I tried to hold it together.  Voice cracking as we sang 'Happy Birthday' to her - for the first time in her life.  I've never seen such a look of pure joy on her face.  Cupcakes made just for her... candle burning just for her...

I'm so thankful, Father, that I get to be the one to do this with her.... 





 The smile never left her face all day.  She was quiet, taking it all in... 




Simple games in a breezy back-yard.  How could 'duck-duck-goose' and 'red rover' be filled with such glee and jubilee?






Celebration.  Merriment.  Triumph.


Gifts picked out just for her, not part of a shared collection of rummaged-through goods.  Dresses she'll be the first to wear... a baby doll she can call hers...



A simple gathering of loved ones who love one.  

One I didn't know I was going to love.  One 'added' in at the 'last minute'... before dossier left faltering hands.

One who was at first my wildcat... now aptly-named, a source of joy.  

My Word for the Year... joy.  

I didn't know it would come like this, at such a high price, and such unexpected, overflowing measure.

Today, thank you, Father, for Lena Joy.





Comments

Micah said…
Seeing the love of the Hazelton family is seeing God's love right before my eyes. Blessings.
So wonderful. Many blessings and a very Happy 6th Birthday!!
Jessica said…
Way to make me cry. Perfect blog post for one very unique and very special little girl. I love her more than words.
MamaJ said…
Crying my eyes out with JOY. Love this. Happy Birthday sweet girl.
Katie King said…
Precious, precious, precious. Love the joy on her face!!
Esther said…
Word of the year :)) I cannot wait to meet her. We love you guys so much.
Your pictures are priceless! What a wonderful day for all of you. Isn't it the most rewarding thing seeing the joy on our kids faces when they get to experience something like a birthday party that most kids have never considered not having.

I am thinking about trying to get a group of adoptive families together for a playgroup. I personally know of at least 5 families locally that adopted from overseas. Shoot me an email if you have any interest in this.
Hollie Carson said…
Mercy. That kind of love satisfies my heart's affections. I can only imagine how full her cup is, how loved she feels. As I read your post, esp where you mentioned that ya'll get to be the ones to love on Lena Joy, I couldn't help but think of what Lena will say one day, about your incredible love for the Father that overflows onto/into her,...one day when she gets to be my age. Oh, I can't wait for that day! Can't WAIT to see what the Lord will do in her...in YOUR family.
Love you Hazletons...SO MUCH!
Krista said…
Absolutely precious. Wow. Love you guys and just can't wait to meet those kiddos one day!

Popular Posts