Mr. Incredible... and More Thanksgiving Pics

Just for the record, let me say that being a stay-at-home mom does not mean that we sleep late, play all day, and just move leisurely from one activity to the next. While it is an incredible opportunity I'd highly recommend, it is hard work to do this job well. And I don't often do it well. It requires a lot of planning and organization and praying! I'm definitely learning a lot. I often hear whining all day long, move from one crisis to another, and my house is in a constant state of disarray.

However, once in a while, when I'm relying on God's strength and Spirit, we do have days that are just magical, and yesterday was one of those.

As it was nearing lunch time, I made some eggsalad for sandwhiches and sliced up an apple. It was very mild, windy, and spring-like outside, so I retrieved our picnic blanket and took the girls to the backyard for lunch.

I'd like to say that lunch went smoothly, but Lilly kept spitting out her eggsalad, and climbing over me to reach apples. Nonetheless, we thoroughly enjoyed our breezy meal. The gusts of wind were strong, and I decided to use the opportunity to talk to Maggie about God. Before I started, I thought about what I was going to say to her, and the idea of using Mr. Incredible came to mind. (We LOVE The Incredibles, and usually watch it once a week at our house.)

Who made the wind? I asked.

God make the wind. Maggie answered.

That's right. The wind feels good, doesn't it? It's blowing so hard. God is so big and strong!

Mr. Incredible strong too, huh? (She totally made that connection herself.)

That's right! He is. And God is even bigger and stronger than Mr. Incredible.

Uh-huh!

Just then I rememberd a song I learned in elementary school, ... My God is so BIG so strong and so MIGHTY, there's Nothing my God cannot DO... I sang it for the girls, and Lilly was thrilled with the singing. Maggie followed me in the hand motions.

Our singing gave way to running and chasing each other, and collapsing in the grass, just enjoying the weather. It really was such a pleasant little picnic.

The rest of the day wasn't quite so magical, with lots of poopy diapers, a few little spankings, and the daily whining hour - just before daddy gets home. But I hope I'll always remember that little exchange we had about God. I am so grateful that I get to be home with my kids, and have the opportunity for little teaching moments like that one!

Okay, on to more Thanksgiving pictures...




Taking a walk with my mom.


Peek-a-Boo

Poking Papa's Face


Getting Papa's Camera

My adorable nephew



This is my cousin, Ryan. Isn't he handsome?

Comments

AV said…
Thanks for this post, Shannon! I identify so much with what you are experiencing and how you see life as a stay-at-home mother. I'm 1 month into life with two little ones, and it is incredibly busy, but so full of joy and sweetness mixed in with the messes and tantrums and whining....God is so good to bless us with families. Hope you guys have a wonderful Christmas.
A-
Hey girl! So good to hear from you. Congrats on your newest little one, and tell that hubby of your hello for me!
Ben and Mandy said…
Sweet story, Shannon. I'm looking forward to having talks like that with Gray. You constantly give me inspiration as a mommy. Thanks!

Popular Posts