"You don't have to go home..."


"...but you've got to get out of here!"
That seemed to be the message that the replacement night manager at our local grocery store was telling me as he told me I had 5 minutes left to shop before (early) closing time.

As you may have guessed, we are now home. It seems like Gustav didn't like what I called him (look a few posts down), so he decided to come right for us. The location we evacuated to, that is. The first night of our evacuation we stayed in Tyler, TX, and then we went north and east to a suburb of Dallas. After testing the Army Corps of Engineers work in New Orleans this morning, guess which way the storm headed? Across Louisiana in a northwest direction towards Dallas by way of Tyler. Coincidence? Perhaps. By the way, we have family who live just east of Baton Rouge, LA, who evacuated to a town just outside of Shreveport. Guess which north LA area the storm is in right now?

Like I said, that sucker is a dirty dog. But perhaps we outsmarted it: early this afternoon we left The Colony to come back home. We made it back with just a few sprinkles as far as weather goes. Gustav may be big and destructive, but he can't turn on a dime and double back to southeast Texas now that he's picked his path and committed to it. Now all he's got left to do is throw a last wind and rain fit and then disintegrate. Game over.

Anyway, when we returned home, most places were closed, but the local HEB wasn't. So there I was, trying to find a few things to replenish the basics in our kitchen, when I discovered that I was literally the last customer in the store. So at least I've got that going for me.

o.k., I can't think of a witty or funny way to end this post, so I'll just close with a thanks to our Great God, the Creator of Heaven and Earth, Who is great and gracious in all He does. He kept us safe and secure the whole 665-mile journey the past three days.

oh, and thanks also to Gary, Rhonda, Shannon, and Ziggy for being such great hosts and play pals while we stayed at their place on just a few hours' notice.

until next time, thanks. May God bless you and keep you, and don't forget to turn off the lights on your way out.

jeffrey (and the sleeping girls)

Comments

Popular Posts